Thursday, December 8, 2011

Story Post: "A Soldier in Silver" Chapter 3

“No.” the Princess of all of Equestria said firmly. “You will not resign, Destrier. I won’t accept it.”

Destrier’s jaw dropped and he stared at the princess, looking like a landed fish. 

“Permission to speak freely, your Highness?” he said after several moments of awkward silence.

“Permission granted, Commander.”

“I will kill him. I promise you that. If I stay on here as a member of the Guard, I will be tempted to end his life,” Destrier began. “I can’t forgive him or forget what that filthy loathsome little son of a mule did six years ago. I can’t bear the idea of giving him anything, much less having to stand there silently and allow Greenbacks to take from the fund for the families that the Guard set up for those that died in service to Equestria.” 

He paused for a breath, noting that it now was the princess that looked surprised by his words.

“I would sully the very name of the Guard and what little honor I have left, and tear his wretched hide to pieces, as the 'tame' chimera he brought to Canterlot Square did my brothers in arms. I must insist upon you accepting my resignation, your Highness. It may be the only way to prevent me from attacking and killing Greenbacks.”

“Resignations in this matter are undignified,” Celestia said, watching the emotions play across the scarlet unicorn's face. “Retirement would be a better choice. I will allow you to retire from the Royal Guard, Commander.”

Destrier breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Princess.”

“Where are you going to go?” she asked, concerned for her friend. “I can see that Canterlot is out of the question.”

“I don’t know.” Destrier shrugged, “Perhaps to Manehattan, though I am not sure…”

The discussion of where he should go went on for a little while; Destrier had no idea how long he and the Princess talked; all he knew was that this was quite possibly the longest conversation he had ever had with her. 

There was a knock upon the door, and then without waiting to be asked to be admitted, Charger entered the commander’s quarters. The colt looked completely lost and exposed without his armor. Destrier turned to the Princess and noticed that she had stepped out onto the Balcony overlooking the city. He and Charger were effectively alone.

“What is it, colt?” Destrier asked, more than slightly annoyed that Charger had entered his quarters without permission.

“I was wondering, sir….” Charger said, not meeting Destrier’s eye. “I was wondering if you would keep me on here as your valet or something.”

“Go home, son,” The older stallion said, not bothering to hide his irritation. “Go home with your folks.”

“That’s impossible, sir. My father…my father won’t allow me to return home. He says I disgraced the family name with my discharge from the Guard.”


No comments:

Post a Comment